So here’s a new project I have been thinking about for a while. I like team jackets and those old sweaters baseball players used to wear, so I wanted to design something along those lines but something I could make. Also, I wondered if I could make a piece of clothing I would actually wear?
I decided I wanted to make a simple, unlined jacket that could incorporate team cresting. As usual, I also wanted to make structural changes to the garment to make it really unique. Otherwise, I could just go buy a jacket and sew some crests on. I actually went so far as to buy a couple of jackets with this in mind, but wound up taking them back once I decided I wanted to make the whole thing.
There are a lot of differences working with this type of fabric as opposed to stretch knits used in most jerseys. So I got some cheap canvas material and experimented with different designs. This is the first true prototype, and there are still many revisions to do, but at least it is starting to look like the real thing.
The biggest hook, if you will, is the large pocket at the front with the placket curved to avoid it. I thought it would be fun to create a jacket that had a big pocket at the front to hold a specific piece of player equipment, so that the final garment would be closely associated with the sport of the team. Kind of a combination jacket and equipment bag.
It’s not such a weird idea when you think about it. Many players have equipment custom made or that has been broken in just so, and they would probably want to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t go missing. Things like custom-molded goalie masks and baseball gloves come to mind.
I also tend to like obscure, fictional minor-league teams, so I could imagine a stingy owner or equipment manager wanting the players to hold onto their expensive gear so it doesn’t go missing from the dressing room.
I also added this fun text to the back, thinking the owner of the team would want to promote the team when the players were out and about:
I designed the pocket to be folded over when not in use, with two buttons in place to hold it in close. It’s still functional as a regular pocket, but can expand out to hold a bulky item like the mask shown.
This one is made from a lightweight denim that looks quite nice. The collar is a baseball jacket type, with a nice double blue striped pattern. I plan to experiment with other fabrics like various colours of canvas and cotton twill. The overall look is part team jacket, part workwear jacket like a chore coat or denim jacket.
The cresting was done with a tan felt that looks really nice with the shade of blue and also the rust-coloured buttons.
Lots to do before I think this is something that is wearable. I made the pattern myself by trial and error, and there is still some tweaking to be done to optimize the fit. I also have to finalize how I am going to finish the seams inside for a professional look, among other things.
I resurrected my old Fin Whales team for this one. Here’s a picture of me wearing it.